simple is beautiful
Vince Burlapp Car Page: 2009 Saturn Aura 2.4 Liter test drive
2 ... 2 ...

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 4, 2008

2009 Saturn Aura 2.4 Liter test drive



As I said before, this is a newly available combo for 2009.
The small engine on the top of the line model. With the new 6 speed auto.
First, I think the Aura is a very good looking sedan. In its 3rd model year, I think it still looks better than the Camry or Accord.
Especially in metallic black like my test car.



I also loved the interior. I was really suspicious of the fake wood trim when I first saw it a couple of years ago at the auto show.
But I think they did change the color and it seems now less orangy and a bit darker.
I am still not crazy about any wood trim anyway. And it might still look strange with another color.
But the brown and black interior trim looks also great. The leather seats have a very nice texture to them.
Although I could sometimes feel the stitching on the center portions of the seats.
If you like driving naked, be aware...

Most plastics are soft to the touch almost everywhere. The sound system sounded great.
The only thing I really didn't like was how the door sounded when shut. They didn't have that solid sound that more and more cars have now.
They sounded pretty tiny. It's just too bad for a car that has an otherwise upscale feel to it.

The back seat is roomy, but not more than the competition,it seems. Plus, just like in the Malibu, there is no rear armrest.



The engine is really very quiet all the time.
It is so smooth that I really do not see the need for a V6 in this car. But it's not that fast when you push it.
And really, this is a family car. I really think the 2.4 Liter will do the job 99% of the time for most people.
The steering feel is one of the best part of the car. It is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned.
Precise and very fluid. But it still has a very good feel. It might even feel a bit hard for people looking for a luxury ride.
I remember feeling the same way about the Malibu when I drove it last year. Also preferring the 2.4 Liter steering to the one used in the V6 which felt a bit more artificial.
I just wish GM could at least design a different steering wheel for each brand.
It's not ugly by any means, but they use it on most of their cars. And the center piece does look a bit cheap.

The suspension is also a very good compromise. Itis just a bit firm yet still very smooth. The only thing I noticed was a very slight shutter throught the steering wheel on some low speed bumps. And I remember also noticing that in the Pontiac G6. Which shares the same platform.
But I also experience that in a Lexus RX... So who knows...


I mentioned before that I was having some trouble with the onboard computer of the car. Trying to figure out the average fuel mileage.
It seems to have pretty much fixed itself after a few days. With my average weekly drives which includes about 30% freeway,I got 25mpg.
Which is pretty good. I remember getting 24 MOG with the smaller Astra.
The best I could get was about 37mpg on the freeway. Cruising quietly at 65mph.

My test car was around $25000, without a sunroof. (They don't offer the cool panoramic roof option anymore. Just a regular sunroof.)
It looks like between rebates and emplyee price discounts you might be able to get on for about $3000 less.
Not bad for a "no haggle price" Saturn.
-The Accord EX L 2.4 Liter is $26 125. Carsdirect has it for $25 000
-The Camry LXE 2.4 Liter is $26 300. Carsdirect has it for $23 900.

So the Aura might actually be cheaper than both. But the Honda and Toyota resale values and reliability are still unmatched by Saturn.

On the other hand, you get a more attractive car, inside and out. Which is much more pleasant and fun to drive.
That would get my vote.

To me, the Aura's biggest problem is the Malibu. I think the Chevrolet is still a bit better.
I will be driving the same 2.4 Liter 6 speed combo in the Malibu next week.

So I'll be reporting on that one soon...
I still like the Chevrolet better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment