simple is beautiful
Vince Burlapp Car Page: Chevrolet Malibu 2.4 L 6 speed drive and review... In Malibu.
2 ... 2 ...

Blog Archive

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chevrolet Malibu 2.4 L 6 speed drive and review... In Malibu.




As you can see, the Malibu is one of the best looking family sedan on the market.
To me at least, it does look better than the Camry or Accord. I haven't seen the new Mazda6 though...
It also look more upscale than its price.
Something the Camry used to do very well.




The interior is also very nice. Not as weird as the Accord, but with much more personality than the Camry.
The grey color of my test car is actually the worse one offered. I preffer the one I tested a few months ago that had a 2 tone cream/dark interior. And the thin wood trim actually looks better than the metalic plastic bits.
Plus, if you get the LTZ, the console plastics are of a darker shade. Which looks even better.

The car is very roomy. I have read on this site that some people complained about the car not being wide enough. I had no problem and the interior never felt too narrow..
It is just half an inch narrower than the Camry but the new Accord is about 2 1/2 inches wider.



How does it drive?
Well, I have to say this was one of the best riding cars I have driven in years. The ride is smoother than many cars costing much more. And it is one of the quietest as well.
It was really Lexus quiet at any speed. And we are talking about a 4 cylinder car here. I was really amazed by the ride luxury feel of the car.
Yet it handled very well. It feels very solid on any roads.
Except for that small steering wheel shutter once in a while. The one I mentioned before on the Aura and G6.
I just wonder if the V6 models have it too, using a diferent steering.
But I have to say, the steering wasn't as nice as the one in the Saturn Aura.
The Aura's as about perfect for me. With much more feel to it.
And didn't require that many adjustments to stay straight.

The Malibu does steer nicely, don't get me wrong. Just not as good as the aura.
I just wonder if the 2.4 L LTZ has a different calibration or not...

I averaged about 24mpg in my driving. The stuff I usually do during the week. Which means about 60 to 70% city.
Pretty much what I was getting with the Saturn Astra that only had a 4 speed auto and a smaller 1.8 Liter engine.

I think the Aura and Malibu are among the best family car you can drive in the US.
They fee like more expensive cars. And you really do not need a V6. The 4 is so quiet and smooth.
There is enough power for "mid sized 4 door sedan duty". These aren't BMW's and don't pretend to be.
The Malibu is a good looking, solid, roomy, smooth and quiet car that makes you feel you did a good thing buying one.

Pretty much the stuff that made the Camry so popular over the years.
If you check out various owner forums, mot are very happy with their purchase. They really like their cars the way Camry owners do.
I think it's a good sign for the US auto industry.

I'm sure I missed a few things. So feel free to ask me anything about the car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment